Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Newer and more exciting...er... things

So I woke up this morning, crushed up against my furry space ferret. I know it's not a very original name for a creature, but it is so aptly named. I mean, it gets in the way every now and then, but it makes for a very warm blanket when it sleeps due to the way it expands until it has taken up all available space in the room. Who needs throw pillows and comforters when you have a space ferret.

All that aside, I had just woken up from a frightfilled night of sleeping poppy's and gem stoned dragons when I thought I had heard a noise in the room. At first I thought Filkie, my space ferret, had maybe crushed my hamsters but then I remembered, they never woke up from the last time he did that. So I poked at Filkie until he woke up and rather groggily shrank back to his normal ferret size. As he did, I was immediately blinded... again... by the twin suns' abusive radiance. Man, I wish I knew when those curtains were going to come in.

I started to cuss, knowing that I had at least 10 filacs on the nightstand with which I could pay toward the local swear jar, when I heard the noise again. I tried to locate the source, but my head was still throbbing and all I could see were orange and violet splotches. It wasn't until one of the splotches moved, most definitely one of the violet ones, that I realized that someone, or something, was in the room with me.

"Who's there?" I yelled out.

"No one," came a soft yet unconvincing gender neutral voice.

"If you're no one, then how is it that I hear you?" I asked, doing my best to portray an "I got you" look, which was rather difficult, what with all the blinking and everything.

The voice, having been gotten, remained silent. I struggled to blink away the morning dazzle when I heard the previously gotten No one moving closer to me.

"What do you want?" I asked, more out of terror than polite ice breaker.

The violet splotch paused for a moment and then reluctantly spoke up.

"I was sent to warn you," it eventually uttered.

"Warn me? Warn me of what?" I asked, my eyes most assuradely crossed.

"I am to warn you to stay indoors and quit wandering Randomida," it replied trying to sound menacing, successfully, I might add.

"I thought it was called Randomica?" I queried.

"It was," said the voice, a sudden confused tone masking it's evil malice.

"What do you mean it was?" I asked, starting to get a feel for the conversation.

"It's not just the terrain and occupants that change every day... Heck, it hasn't been Randomica in a couple of weeks," the voice added incredulously.

I could feel my blush burn through the haze of colors swirling before my face.

"What was it called yesterday," I asked hesitantly.

"Randomila, of course," it stated matter of factly.

"Of course," I pretended to understand. "So, umm, why am I supposed to stay inside?"

"Because you are upsetting the natural order," it stated flatly.

"What? How am I doing that?" I responded, feeling a new headache coming on.

"You are introducing an element which is not condusive to the nature of.. " the sound of shuffling papers rose up from the violet splotch," nature...," it finished.

"Oh," I replied, hoping the dejection in my voice translated properly for the violet splotch.

"So, how do I cleanse myself of this 'element' so I can venture back outside?" I asked after a long, sad pause.

"I dunno, it would take an act of randomness, I guess," it responded with a bit of a curious tone.

I thought about this as I quietly smeared the ferret's head into a half eaten orange.

"How do I do that?" I asked.

The voice sighed to itself, muttered something about "never mind, you are good to go" and then faded away. As a matter of fact, I couldn't even see the splotch anymore. Everything in the room came sharply into focus. No one was there, and by that I mean I was alone with my ferret, dead hampsters, and piles of clean but unkempt socks, not to be confused with the aforenamed No one who embodied the previously mentioned purple splotch.

Just then the door opened and 3 small birds flew in and grabbed hold of my hair and forcibly drug me outside into the setting suns' light.

Now, I am not sure what to make of all of this, but I felt at the very least, it was worth sharing. But after reading over it, I may be having second thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment