Monday, March 15, 2010

New and exciting things

I woke up this morning, as most morning, blinded by the twin suns both breaking the horizon at exactly the same moment and sending their orange and violet rays directly into my still sleep filled eyes. Quickly my lids closed in a vane attempt to protect my throbbing head from the illuminating assault but, alas, they were too late. 40 minutes later, my vision cleared and I was able to officially start my day. First order of business, get on EDock and order those new lead lined curtains for my bedroom window.

Once the order was placed, I decided to take the time to find a matching pair of socks within the many piles that littered my room. This was a big step for me, having finally figured out how to use the Clothing Sanitation System, I now had piles of clean clothes thrown everywhere. Maybe today I should try to figure out the Clothing Orderly Space Management System. Nah, one technological victory per week should suffice, less I get a big head.

Two hours later, after eating my daily dose of protein and fiber, I checked the radiometer and found that the twin suns had pushed out as much death as they were going to on this day, so I decided to head outside and see what new wonders would meet me.

You see, in these parts, everyday brings something different. On the other side of the planet, they never see anything new. The same animals, plants, rocks, people... Nothing ever changes. That's why I moved out here to the Randomica in the first place. I need variety. It's also why my last twelve or so relationships crashed and burned like a Nebulonian Phoenix in a Methlab, but I digress.

Just this morning, a curious new breed of poppy appeared. It had a very unique protection mechanism. When I attempted to get a closer look, it sprayed a strange gel at me. The gel was cold and soothing to the touch but didn't have any ill effects on me. The poppy however slumped over and emitted a soft snoring sound. I pushed it and pushed it, but it simply would not stand back up. An odd little flower...

But let me tell you what I found later this afternoon. I was walking through the strangle vine forest, an oddly named forest filled with large oak-like trees but not a single visible vine among them, when I came across a cave where yesterday there had been a quiet pond. I carefully walked up to its entrance and peered within, curiosity being my greatest of vulnerabilities. There, where once had floated a small island complete with a tiny fruit tree, now sat what had to be the cutest little critter I had ever laid eyes upon. It was covered in scales as green and opulent as emeralds. It looked back at me through glowing ruby eyes. It opened its elongated snout into a jagged filled yawn, it's slight movement casting rainbow hues across the cavern walls. I smiled at it with unhidden adulation and started to walk toward it. I simply had to touch it. As I approached it, caution now thoroughly thrown to the wind, I reached out my hand to let it sniff me. That is what you are supposed to do, right? They sniff, they smell that you are a good person and then they let you pet them, put a collar on their neck and take them home to fetch slippers and look cute for the prospective ladies? Well, it sniffed my hand all right. It then screamed with a startling loudness "POPPY PUSHER!!!" and then ran deep into the cave.

I was flabbergasted...

The next thing I know, I was swimming next to a small island with a fruit tree in a small quiet pond. Though disconcerting, it was not as frightful an experience as knowing that I would have to now go home and try to remember how to use the Clothing Sanitation System to clean and dry my favorite, and only, pair of matched socks.

So, how was your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment