Thursday, July 26, 2012

What to do?

I gaze out upon the twin moons of Myrodel and wonder which I should choose?

For years I have been studying for this day, preparing for the inevitable. Consigned at a young age to the school of the gifted, I never dreamed that it would all come down to this. I knew I had a purpose, but I did not know it was THE purpose.

What if I choose the wrong one? Well, I know what would happen, but it will cease to be happenstance once the choice is made. No, chance will no longer play a role. The responsibility is completely mine. I will be savior or destroyer of everything.

Look at that small insect crawling across the window. I can choose to smash it into oblivion, or simply let it be, oblivious to the fact that it's fate was for a brief moment in my hands. At least with that choice the outcome is known regarding which way I go. THE choice is a different story. I pick one, I do my thing, and the world as we know it either continues on, oblivious to my choice and their own peril, or they cease to exist in a spectacular and prolonged agonizing manner. All these years, all of my research and it all comes down to this one, simple, choice.

I wish I could say I was ready, that my research gave me the answers, that I know exactly which one to choose. I wish even more that I knew which outcome I preferred. The world has become so dark and miserable, crime and pettiness overshadowing the small pockets of the good and wholesome. Part of me thinks the death of this planet would bring peace to the rest of the universe.

All societies have their bad eggs, but this one just seems to have more than it's fair share. The kids who picked on me in school, who dragged me screaming through hell and sent me crying into my pillow night after night; do they deserve redemption? The teachers who abused their power and brought ridicule upon me for my mistakes and my awkwardness; do they deserve to carry on, tormenting kids yet to come?

Why do I have to be the one to choose? Why can't I just let the world reach the fate at the end of its path? I know the answer to these questions. I know that if I do not choose, that is a choice in itself and all will suffer for it. The burden is heavy.

I close my eyes and shut out the horrors of my childhood and focus on the beauty that remains in this world. The yet in-trampled flowers growing wild upon the hillside. The purple mists that drift down the cobblestone roads each morning stripping from them the wastes of the day before. The yet innocent children, not yet or not gifted enough to be consigned to a school, free of fear and insecurities. I envy their freedom and their ignorance.

I turn my gaze back upon the twin moons. They are both gray, featureless spheres, indistinguishable from each other.

The clock chimes behind me. It is time. Rising slowly, carefully, my knees begin to shake. I close my eyes, the weight of the decision pressing hard upon me. I raise my hands and begin the chant.

The words register no meaning in my mind, yet they tumble from my mouth as if my tongue knows full well their interpretation. I open my eyes and point between the two moons. Slowly, I let my hand drift. The decision is made. All I can do now is wait. May providence show mercy upon us all.

"That's it? You just spit out gibberish and point at the moon? Really? This is what you have been training for your whole life? This is what was so urgent?"

I stammer slightly and lower my eyes.

"Y-Yes, Arimella. You don't know it yet, but I think I just saved the whole world."

"With your finger?" she said, cocking her head sideways.

"Umm, and my... my words...."

"Just like that?" you could feel her disbelief growing.

"Well, we're not suffering immeasurable pain... right?" I responded, my ire rising.

"Well... no... but how do I know we were ever in any danger?"

"Because... because it is written..." I point feverishly toward the scroll in front of me.

"But, you wrote that," she said dismissively.

"What are you saying? That I made it up?" My anger is now rising.

"Well, how do I know you didn't?"

"This is the gratitude I get for saving the world? You know what, this date is over. Thank you for a miserable and ungrateful evening." I turned to storm from the room.

"Weirdo," she muttered.

I stepped out on the cobblestones and sighed, taking in a deep breath. Slowly the embarrassment fades and I start walking back toward the school.

"Hello, Miguel," a sweet voice echoes toward me.

My head shoots up and my eyes land upon the most beautiful breasts in all of Myrodel. I then slowly focus upon her better than average face.

"Oh hello, Harrielle. I did not see you there."

She smiled at me and I at her.

"Hey Harrielle, are you busy? Would you like to go out with me tonight? We can go to that new Tavern down the road. I hear it has a beautiful view of the twin moons."

"That would be lovely Miguel."

"I have something I have to do there first, though, something very urgent with dire consequences should I fail, is that ok with you?"

"Sure, Miguel, it sounds like fun," she says, excitement spreading across her face and down to her ample bosoms...

I give her my most troubled smile and take her arm in mine.

"We must hurry, we only have until the clock chimes again."

No comments:

Post a Comment